How does it work?
- All learning materials are online, divided into short chapters
- Each chapter comes with activities and assessment questions
- Practice on a private Drupal sandbox site only you can access
- Study whenever and wherever you want
- Connect with the group in twice-weekly video calls, or in our slack-like chat channels
- Build a theme start to finish as you go through each chapter
- Keep access to the learning materials forever
Is this course right for you?
- You have built at least one Drupal site and you're familiar with nodes, blocks, menus, users, roles, and permissions
- You're familiar with downloading, installing, and configuring contributed Drupal themes
- You're familiar with basic PHP syntax and namespaces
- You want to know how to get started with Drupal theme development
What you'll get out of it
- Discover how to build your own theme and where to place it
- Explore and override core themes and template files
- Learn about Drupal's theme inheritance system
- Define your own theme regions
- Bundle your own CSS and JS files into asset libraries
- Identify the various parts of a Drupal page that have their own templates
- Create templates using the Twig template language
- Write PHP code to modify available template variables, or add new ones.
This course does not cover front-end framework and asset build systems such as nodejs, npm, yarn, gulp, react, angular, vue, or sass.
To learn how such tools and frameworks can be integrated into a Drupal theme, look out for Advanced Drupal 8/9 Theme Development, coming later this year.